Microsoft Planner gives people a visual way to organize teamwork, assign tasks, manage deadlines, and follow up on projects.
The ShareGate migration tool supports plans as part of your Teams migrations---in addition to chat conversation history, private and standard channels, files, tabs, and more.
How it works
Your plan migration will be different if you migrate a team as a new team in the destination or migrate a team or channel into an existing team.
When you migrate as a new team, the migration tool will copy all your plans linked to that team's Microsoft 365 Group.
When you migrate into an existing team, the migration tool will only copy the plans added as a tab in a team channel.
Note: You can only migrate plans through a Teams migration at this time.
- The plan, buckets, and tasks are copied.
- The order of the buckets and tasks is kept.
- The task comments in each migrated plan are sent as an email to the team's Outlook. To optimize your migration time and reduce the number of email notifications, comments are aggregated in a single email, up to 50 comments per email.
- Members receive a task assignment email for all their assigned tasks.
- Members of a team or group are automatically members of the plans associated with their team or group if they are available at the destination. They can access the content of the plans even if their image does not appear in the Planner app.
- You can change the members of your plans and the people assigned to some tasks with user mappings. For more information on users, see User mapping below.
- The background is not preserved.
- The notification settings are not preserved.
- Users' plans marked as favorites are not kept.
- Task assignment and task comment emails are sent by default and cannot be disabled.
- Task authors, comment authors, and timestamps are only preserved in comments.
- Created by and Completed by will be replaced by the user account you use for your migration.
- Created date time and Completed date time will be replaced by the date and time of the migration.
- For tasks, the authors and timestamps information will be added as a comment in the task. For comments, the information is added directly in the comment.
- Planner restrictions apply, for example:
- There is a maximum of 200 plans per team.
- There is a limit of approximately 2,400 tasks per plan.
Relationship to productivity apps
Microsoft provides several productivity apps, including Tasks, To-Do, Planner, and Tasks by planner and to do.
Tasks and To Do are Outlook-based applications for creating personal tasks and displaying the Planner tasks assigned to users. The ShareGate migration tool does not support the migration of Tasks, To Do, or the tasks created in Tasks or To Do.
Tasks by planner and to do is a Teams-based application for displaying personal Tasks/To Do tasks and the Planner tasks assigned to users. When you migrate a plan with Copy teams, the assigned Planner tasks will appear in the Tasks by planner and to do app of your user as long as that user is available in the destination tenant when you perform the migration.
Migrated tasks will be unassigned if their assigned users are unavailable at the destination.
If the source user is mapped to an available user at the destination, the Planner tasks will become assigned to the mapped user. That user will find the tasks in their Tasks by planner and to do and Tasks/To Do apps.
When you add an attachment to a task, it can be a file that already exists in your team channel, a file from your local drive that you upload to your team channel, or a link to a file in a different location.
If you uncheck Files in your copy options, your task attachments located in the Files tab of your team will not work in the destination.