Choose the team channels you want to copy.
- The Azure the ShareGate migration tool application is consented on your tenant.
- You have global admin or SharePoint admin permissions.
- If you do not have global admin permissions, you will need Teams admin permissions and SharePoint admin permissions.
- You have a working Teams license for the source and destination.
- You have logged into Teams at least once (in a browser or the Teams app) to have access to the hosted content.
How to copy team channels
- Select Copy from the sidebar.
- Select Copy teams.
- Select your source tenant in the left corner if it is already connected.
- If your source tenant is not already connected, click No connections then +Add connection.
- For more information, see Connect to SharePoint and Microsoft 365.
- If you want to copy all the team channels, add a checkmark beside the team's icon.
- If you want to select specific channels within a team, click the arrow symbol beside the team's icon to expand the list.
- You can select multiple teams and specific channels to copy. You will be able to determine where you want to migrate everything at a later step.
- Click Continue to destination.
- Select your destination tenant if it's already connected.
- If your destination tenant is not already connected, click +Add connection. For more information, see Connect to SharePoint and Microsoft 365.
- Click to change your copy options.
- Click to map users.
- Click the edit icon that appears when you hover a team to rename your team or its channels at the destination.
- To copy the channel(s) and the team they are associated with as a new team at the destination, select Copy as a new team.
- To copy the channel(s) to a team that exists at the destination, select Copy channels in an existing team.
- When you select Copy channels in an existing team, search and select the destination team in the dropdown that appears.
- Click Start copy to migrate your channel(s).
- Click Schedule copy to migrate your channels(s) later.
- When you start the copy right away, the tool will take you to the task summary page where you will be able to monitor the progress of the migration.
- Once the action is completed, the migration report will show any successes, warnings, or errors. For more information, see Migration report.
Note: Do not connect to the Teams admin URL at step (4). Use the SharePoint admin URL instead to connect to your tenant. For more information about the SharePoint admin URL format, see Site address connection types overview.
Members and owners
Members and owners are only migrated if the channel being copied is private. For public channels, you will have to manually add any missing members and owners manually after your migration.
Members and owners may appear to be missing at the destination when you migrate a private channel with the Teams app open on your machine. In the destination private channel, select the Files tab to refresh your owners and members.
When you migrate a private channel into a private team the first time, the ShareGate migration tool will ask you if you want to always add private channel members or never add private channel members. You can change your selection at any time in the Copy options.
How-to do an incremental copy
You can use incremental copy for teams that were migrated with the ShareGate migration tool 15.0 and higher. For more information, see Copy teams - Incremental.
If you remigrate a team that already exists in the destination, it will be duplicated.
Tip: If you did your initial migration with a version of the migration tool before 15.0, or if you want more control over the incremental copy of your files only, See Copy teams - Copy content only and Copy if newer (incremental).