When migrating a site or a list using the Document ID Service feature, ShareGate displays the following warning:
Document ID Service feature cannot be automatically activated. Please activate the feature manually from the Site Collection Administration page.
Note: Even if you see Activated listed for this feature, wait for the feature to be completely active before continuing, otherwise your document IDs will not be copied. Activating this feature can take several minutes to several hours. For more information on the Document ID Service feature, see the Microsoft article Enable and configure unique Document IDs.
When activating the Document ID Service feature, SharePoint will first determine the size of your site.
If your site is not flagged as a large site, the feature will activate immediately.
If your site is flagged as large, the feature will be queued to activate later (you can find more details on queuing in the Microsoft article on Document IDs). The time it takes to queue and activate can vary depending on your environment. You can expect an average of 30 minutes.
In SharePoint, the Site collection feature administration page will list the Document ID Service feature as Active even if the feature is queued to be activated later. Be aware that it is possible nothing has been deployed on your site yet.
Since ShareGate cannot detect if the Document ID Service feature has been activated, the warning is displayed in the migration tool to alert you. This warning helps to reduce the risk of copying your documents without their document IDs.
To verify that the Document ID Service is fully activated and to continue your copy with document IDs preserved:
- Open your SharePoint site and navigate to the Site Settings.
- Under Site Collection Administration, select Site collection feature.
- Activate the Document ID Service feature on your site collection.
- Create a temporary document library.
- Click Modify View and you should see a new available column Document ID (linked to document) in the Columns section.
- If you see this column the feature is activated correctly and you can continue your copy with ShareGate. The document IDs will be preserved.
- If you do not have this column you must wait for the feature to activate and revalidate the activation later. To revalidate, repeated step (4) above.