The Server Extension allows the ShareGate migration tool to make one call to get a file and all its versions at the same time. Without the extension, the ShareGate migration tool must make one call per version.
For example, if you have 100 files to copy, and each of those has 20 versions:
- With the Server Extension - 100 calls are required.
- Without the Server Extension - 2000 calls are required.
You must have administrative rights on your SharePoint server.
Your SharePoint server must have at least .NET framework 3.5 or higher in order to proceed with a Server Extension installation.
You know where to install the extension, depending on your migration goals:
- List of values the Server Extension preserves
- List of versions that require the Server Extension to run Insane mode
Installing the Server Extension will not cause any downtime on your SharePoint server and does not require a server reboot.
- Download the Server Extension installer by clicking here.
- Launch the Server Extension installer, and follow the steps in the Setup Wizard.
You must install the Server Extension on all your SharePoint web front-end servers (including where your Central administration is hosted, which is usually a web front-end server but could be an app server). If you have more than one web front-end server, copy the installer into all of them, then run the installer.
If you get an unauthorized error, try running the installer as an administrator with the following steps:
- Locate Command Prompt in Windows.
- Right-click Command Prompt.
- Select Run as administrator.
- Type msiexec /i followed by a space, and then the path of the installer
(i.e.: msiexec /i C:\Users\[youruser.account]\Desktop\Sharegate.Extension.2.0.1.msi).
- Press Enter.